Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What are you reading?

I love to read. I always have. In fact, I love to read so much that I kept probably 90% of my textbooks from college--I just can't bear to part with a book!

I have been reading a lot of fiction lately. I really enjoy good storytelling. One of my favorite authors is Lori Wick. She is an excellent storyteller, her style draws you into the story so much so that it is as if you are part of the story itself, and her books always minister to me in some way. I can reread her books and take away something different each time. It's really hard to say which of her books is my favorite; I can honestly say that there isn't a book of hers that I don't like!

Another author who is at the top of my favorites list is Jan Karon. If you haven't read her Mitford series, you really should! The first book is At Home in Mitford. Her style is very different from anything I have read, and it has an almost slow, laid-back pace to it--which is quite fitting because Mitford is a small, fictional town in North Carolina where everyone knows everyone and where there is a true sense of community. The main character in the Mitford series is Father Tim, a 60-something Episcopalian priest who has all kinds of adventures--and some misadventures--while going through life. You'll really come to love the Mitford series when you read it. Be sure to have a current library card or money set aside for book purchases! Once you've read the first book, you're hooked!

Right now, though, I'm taking a little break from fiction and am finally reading The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. This was recommended to me by one of my former professors at ORU, and I am so glad that he recommended it! I haven't read much of it yet, but already I can say that this is a must-read for all Christians.

So, tell me... what are you reading right now? What kinds of books interest you, and why?

No comments: